Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"Girl in the Park" (and a peek inside my head) ha

"Girl in the Park"
18" X 18"
Oil on Canvas
Amber L Bailey
$250.00

I really love how this reminds me of an illustration from a book. What happened before this snap shot to make her smile? What's ahead of her? What I've noticed about some of my recent work is that it has a static, sterile feeling. This is the opposite. I feel like I should paint a before and after to explain the moment that this painting illustrates. But where would the mystery be in that? :)


My day (like everyone else’s) consists of waking up, heading to work, coming home, mustering up enough energy to work out and then eating dinner. All the while I'm thinking of all these great ideas to put down on canvas. Then I'm just plain out of gas. It's amazing the things I can imagine that never (and may never, ever) actually make it onto paper or canvas. It's not lack of inspiration or fire that's missing, that's for certain. (Focus, direction - maybe.) But then wasn't it Chuck Close who said "Inspiration is for amateurs, the rest of us just show up and get to work?" As fulfilling as painting is, it can still be classified under the insulting word - "work." Trust in "the belief that things will grow out of the activity itself and that you will, through work, bump into other possibilities and kick open other doors that you would never dream up." - Thank you Mr. Close, I am an amateur. I confess.

1 comment:

  1. yes, I like the story here, where the viewer is asking ...'what's the backstory?' nice job!

    ReplyDelete